Should I paint or stain my fence?
One thing to clear up straight away, you do not need to paint or stain our fencing. Our timber products are Jakcure® pressure treated to provide a 25-year guarantee against wood boring insects and all types of rot. Therefore, they do not need to be painted or stained to protect them and they will not need any additional treatment throughout their service life.
Although we say our panels do not need to be stained or painted, it’s undeniable that it looks good when people do and creates amazing contemporary looks.
Overall cost wise, there is not major differences with either paint or stain. Each can have expensive or cheaper versions. Both will not heavily impact your fence, but paint may restrict the natural movements of timber. It falls down to whether you want to change the whole look and colour of your fence with paint, or enhance the natural beauty of timber, with stain.
Guidelines for painting your fence
Should you wish to stain or paint our timber, our advice is to buy the best quality coatings you can afford and please follow the guidelines below:
1. Assemble the product and let the timber dry thoroughly through several weeks of dry/ warm weather
2. Use a microporous finish that allows the timber to breath
3. Thin down the first coat of finish and allow it to dry
4. Build up the finish with 3 or 4 full coats depending on the depth of finish required
5. Read and follow the manufacturers’ instructions on the tin
6. Remember, you shouldn’t expect to achieve a ‘mirror like’ gloss finish, our timber is selected and treated for outdoor use in harsh